Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Covers that make you go EW.

I want to encompass this weeks competition with an updated rule or two. The monster on the book cover no longer has to threaten the viewer or have threatened you, but rather is a cool monster idea that you appreciate. I also think we should open up this week's cover to also include humans portrayed as being monstrosities themselves. Be it an image that affected you with an ew feeling.

After pondering the possibilities, I realized that most of the covers that terrified me belonged to Fangoria and magazines of the like, but not being a comic per se, wouldn't qualify.

I hope this helps some as this weeks competition has a wider spectrum now.


That being said here's my pick of the week. Ew, fff--fff-f-f-ffreakin' EW! You know there is something wrong when someone can render fairly realistically what being shot in the face with a shotgun might look like. My cover for this week's monstrosity is the Preacher cover featuring Arseface. Here's a character that would be allowed to eat at Clive Barker's dinner table.

A troubled youth with a neglectful family, his mundane life tries to make a turn for suicide, a la Cobain, but he survives. He's not a villain by the traditional sense of the word, but does seek vengeance for a portion of his story.

The abonimation that remains on this cover gave me a while to get over the first time I saw it. Glenn Fabry makes skin feel thick and bulbous with his rendering technique. You almost don't want to know about this character from his visage, but there lies a hint of curiosity in his back story. Not really a protagonist, Arseface gave me a new appreciation to Fabry and of disgust.

I've read rumors this character was based on a factual event.

Twisted? Yes. Own the issue? No.

2 comments:

Miles said...

Oh, how convenient to be able to change the parameters at will...

Ian Johnston said...

Yeah, but I think there weren't a lot of people going to enter this week so I moved it around a bit to discuss this cover. All's fair all around too. What's your idea of "monstrous"?