Monday, June 2, 2008

Cover for June 2 - 6 HULK

Monday Monday,

Welcome back everyone!

Ahhhhh, yes the early Kirby rendition Lynn. I almost picked cover 1 myself because of its history alone and it says everything the Hulk storyline is about in one drawing. Although I have to say the second cover you submitted, safe to say and though redone, doesn’t lend itself to the interior story and doesn’t fit the original scope of a solid cover via this group. (As far as I know.) Shouldn’t stop you from being a fan though!

If you can’t guess, this week’s cover was suggested by Rob to be a Hulk week in lieu of it’s, well, redone attempt at movie masterpiece. After the Ang Lee debacle, which is debatable as being good or bad, the new film almost could be attached to the end of the first attempt. Forget what the characters looked like and BAM! Continuation. I do however have to agree with my friend Brent in that Hollywood has already made a big no no for the marketing of the new Hulk film.

They already showed the Abomination in the trailer and now everyone knows what to expect. If the Hulk villain was shrouded in media mystery, it might have helped sales. The Cloverfield tactic.

That being said, here is my choice for this week’s cover. My favorite Hulk cover.


I can’t deny McFarlane’s ability
t
o capture my attention and a sense of tension is this GRRRRREAT cover. I almost went for Hulk 181, the first Wolvie appearance, but this one has Wolverine established as a feral creature. Even the reflection is subdued suggesting the claws aren’t chrome which I always liked as well. This battle does ensue in the book and is quite visceral.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Dirtius Maximus said...

A minor correction: I thought the mistake made with the trailers for The Incredible Hulk was in showing the Abomination, and even showing some scenes of the two fighting.

Ian Johnston said...

Oop! You're right! I got it updated on the blog. What do you think?

Dirtius Maximus said...

Nice save.